Origin Story

These works of thought, discussion and review are written in dedication to Beaky, a Yellow Tang fish. As a youth I freguented the Minnesota zoo (a kick ass zoo, by the standards of all zoos I’ve seen afterward). I learned of an “adopt a fish” program, that the zoo organized, on a sign adjacent to an enormous indoor tank or tropical fish. I found a Yellow Tang, the was the clear favourite amongst the hundreds of fish before me. I requested my parents adopt the Tang so that we could have a pet away from home. We could check on him on a bi-monthly basis. The Tang was never adopted. Nevertheless, I named the Yellow Tang Beaky, and by doing so found a way to adopt him in a more significant way than any zoological philanthropist could ever hope to adopt. I always found him swimming in good health whenever I visited the zoo, which was surprisingly often. That Tang is most assuredly no longer with us. But to the memory of that faithful fish, I leave these words. This one is for you, Beaky.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home